Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 1... the night edition.

Let's just put this all together and see if we can't paint you a pretty picture. Gail force winds blowing so much that several people were worried that their tent... occupants, gear and all... might actually blow away. Winds which are clearly telling us that rain is on the way so be sure to have your tarps on... and we all oblige. These wonderful 'keep your stuff dry' tarps conveniently block the vent at the top of the tent. You know, that little piece of heaven meant to let air in... you know, so you can breathe?

With me still? Good.

Then the wind stops... for about 3 minutes before the rain starts. If you were lucky or had really good timing, you would have fallen asleep in that 3 minute window. I have neither so awake I stayed.

Try as I might I just could not get comfortable. I was on my sleeping bag (on... not in) which for me is huge. I cannot sleep without something covering me... and covering almost every inch... head included. But I was trying... no air so no blanket. At the same time I was attempting to use my breast cancer fleece blanket as a pillow (along with my worthless travel pillow) but neither putting it under my head nor putting it over was allowing me sleep. I was hotter than Hades in our little pink haven.

I went so far as to turn my head around to the opening of the tent, crack it ever so slightly... just to get a gasp of fresh air. Rain be damned... I had to breathe!

Needless to say I woke up when the rain started... if nothing else, just to zipper the tent back up.

I think all told... the entire night... I got about 4 hours of sleep. Non consecutive... just 4 hours over the whole night.

Oh did I forget to mention that I got about 3-4 the night before? Thursday night...

Yeah, I spent the night at Laura's and had what can only be described as the most horrendous case of nerves... I was up thinking and peeing all night long. TMI? Sorry.

So 2 nights of sleep disaster... I really wondered what Day 2 held for me.

2 comments:

  1. YOU DID IT!!!

    I am SO proud of you for doing this event. Now, I need you to summarize all of the things that I MUST have for my walk, which is in FIVE short weeks. (First on your list will probably be duct tape to fasten my camera to my wrist?) And then, why don't you come out to CA and walk it with us?? We'd love to have you on our team, and I'm sure you would have no trouble doing it again!!

    YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen!

    You just gave me a good idea for a post... things to bring! Be on the lookout for it!

    As for the walking again... yeah, I am going to need a little more time! Especially from the fundraising... that may have been the harder part ;~)

    Scratch that... losing the camera was the hardest part. My advice... if you think 'I'll remember it if I put it here' don't do it. Leave everything outside the port a john (there are plenty of 3dayers watching)... don't take anything in. Lest it falls in (I heard horror stories) or you leave it on the hook (my horror story ;~)

    ReplyDelete